To say that I have been blessed in the last year with an abundance of love is an understatement. From finding G to planning our wedding I have no doubt in my mind that I am loved by many, but I know not everyone gets to feel that kind of love. This is where my New Year's resolution is rooted. I shouldn't even call it a New Year's resolution but more of a lifestyle goal, good not only for 2012 but hopefully much longer. I simply want to show love to others more often.
I personally, find it way too easy to complain about things sometimes. If I did something loving for someone instead of complaining, I'd be dishing out a whole lotta love that's for sure. This week I tried to focus on doing something nice when I really felt like complaining. I found myself irritated while trying to get my car in line at the Starbucks drive through the other day and probably cut someone off to get my car in line. Then I realized I was complaining while treating myself to a coffee, so I treated the car behind me in line too. I would love if the car in front of me paid for my drink so why not do it for someone else? I parked at the grocery store and was angry because someone else didn't return their car to the corral. So I grabbed it and returned it myself when I typically would have kept on walking and grumbling. There was a woman at Casey's taking her time in line and unable to carry her load holding up the line and delaying my travels, so I carried her pop to the car for her. I really found that it helped me to complain less, and more importantly showed kindness to others. All it took was me slowing down my life for a few seconds to make someone else's easier for a few seconds. I was reminded of the movie, "Pay it Forward" and thought what a wonderful place we could make this world if we just treated each other a little more kind.
After this week it makes perfect sense for me to be drawn to the sermon I heard at church today. Our pastor was talking about how so many people get drawn into debating the words of the Bible and their implications. Specifically he was talking about Genesis 1 and the phrasing of the Earth being created in 7 days. I personally have never struggled with this concept. I believe in God and I believe He could have made the Earth in 6, 24 hour days, I mean if I think He is God and can do anything I would rationally believe He could do that if He wanted. On the other hand I don't have to take that literally and can think that the word "day" does not stand for our current literal translation. Either way I'm personally not hung up on it. BUT I 100% can see why someone who isn't a Christian would be hung up on this right away. While Mike is describing this situation to the congregation he says something that stuck with me the whole service. People are led to faith by love, not through a debate on Genesis 1. I thought that was a great piece to his overall message and I think that's why I really like Hope so much. Yeah people can think it's a place filled with crazy people (which I'm sure there are some) that are involved in a cult (not true). But we all heard a great thought today simply telling us to love more.
Love is free to give. It can be shown in the smallest of ways, it doesn't take anything out of the ordinary to show people you love them, even if you don't know them. Whether you are a Christian or not, I think we can all agree this place would be a little sweeter if in all circumstances we reverted to love. Love over gossip, love over petty issues, love over anger, and love over self serving. It's a challenge I am ready to take on, hope you can join me!
I think that is a great resolution/lifestyle goal! It is so true that love can be shown in the littlest of ways, taking nearly zero effort. It doesn't always have to be a big production. I am happy to join you!
ReplyDelete