If there's one thing I've learned to acknowledge about myself over the past few years it is that I am a control freak. I look back over the years and realize I have been a control freak since I was a little kid and my mother will agree to this as she can recall the way I treated my neighborhood best friend decades ago (I really only put the phrase 'decades ago' in there for dramatic flare). This new job is teaching me so much and one of the things I am having to do is give up control and let me tell you it is a fight, but I know if I don't do it I will be putting in 60 hour weeks forever.
In all honesty there is no part of me that wants to micro-manage my girls but I also have a very particular eye when it comes to product merchandising and like things done specific ways (even though they may seem ridiculous) so needless to say days off for be are still somewhat stressful. I sit and stew about the girls while I am supposed to be enjoying a free second outside of the store and I hate it! I am not so much concerned that they aren't performing but I am more concerned on whether or not they are comfortable and keeping up with the pace. I guess it comes down to knowing that I am overwhelmed and I don't want them to be overwhelmed. I also will admit that I worry about walking into a disaster zone to some degree on Sunday because they still are adjusting to my high standards of merchandising along with assisting literally 100's of people a day.
That being said I think that's part of why this job was put in my path. I have been feeling so much growth over the last few weeks and I am learning, albeit slowly, to "let go". I am forcing myself to leave when my shift is over instead of staying 12 hours each day, I am making myself give responsibilities to my staff that I typically would take on and I am trusting myself that I am training them well. Thankfully I have people like N reminding me that the store will never be perfect and that being busy is far more important than the store being beautiful. I have customers daily telling me how much they love my little place and that is the best thing I could ask for, not to mention I really do have a fabulous staff.
I hope that I can continue to give ownership (retail cliche alert) to my staff and remember what I hated about past managers so I keep my head clear. This path is so not what I planned on but I am so glad I can see why I am headed in this direction.
Loving your attitude here in thinking this is an opportunity for you to grow not only as a manager, but as a person. And, just like you, this is a great opportunity for your associates to grow too. You cannot hold their hands everyday, so as hard as it may be, you need to let go a little bit at a time. Keep in mind that the more you work together and get to know one another, the better "flow" your store will have. You are doing a tremendous job and have so much to be proud of - as of yesterday, your little store in dsm was what, 2nd in the nation?? That is huge!!!
ReplyDeleteYou will hate to have me say you are such your mother's daughter, who was also a control freak and had to learn to give that up as her girls were growing up. It is important to give your staff the same opportunity to take ownership and pride in what they do, it is a true compliment to their manager. Congratulations on doing such a great job, can't wait to come see your store. M
ReplyDelete