Monday, May 17

Friends and Family

As I think back to this weekend's events there is nothing outstanding to write about. Work, drinks, dinners and Sunday Funday, typical weekend, with the typical people, my friends. Have you ever really thought about what makes a good friend? Sometimes it's easy to take good friends for granted.

Here is what Wikipedia says about friendship:
Value that is found in friendships is often the result of a friend demonstrating the following on a consistent basis:
According to a study documented in the June 2006 issue of the journal American Sociological Review, Americans are thought to be suffering a loss in the quality and quantity of close friendships since at least 1985.[1][2] The study states 25% of Americans have no close confidants, and the average total number of confidants per citizen has dropped from four to two.

And my man C.S. Lewis says this:
"To the Ancients, Friendship seemed the happiest and most fully human of all loves; the crown of life and the school of virtue. The modern world, in comparison, ignores it."

I also want to post what Wikipedia says about family:
an exclusive group of people who share a close relationship

So by reading all of that it seems like friendship is a lot deeper than family (by definition). I mean after all we choose our friends and our family, well we are stuck with them, no choices there! (Mom and Dad I'd still choose you to be my parents, this post is about my friends not you, ok :) )

So what I am getting at in a really round about way is that I am lucky to have such wonderful friends in my DSM family. You are all so much more to me than simple acquaintances, you are the people I choose to surround myself with and help me grow. I've never really told you all why I like you so much, so today you all get a call out and a special thank you for being a part of my life.

NH: I couldn't ask for a better roomie and PIC. You've got my back and always know how I'm feeling. We've lived a parallel life in many ways and I can't think of any one I'd rather sing in my car with and do the maraca snap beside. Your patience and empathy are something I truly admire about you.

SH: If the word thoughtful had a picture beside it in the dictionary, it'd be of you. Your emails, texts and surprise coffee drop-offs always make me feel loved. You are one of the most giving people I have ever met and I wish I had a desk next to yours most days of the week.

JH: You really are "the man". I love so many qualities in you and if anyone can take 3 women on a vacation out of the country and never complain once he deserves a gold medal! Your actions speak volumes and when I say I wish I had a JH I mean it every time.

LW: My creative counterpart. Having someone close to me that knows how an artist feels inside is so important to me. Whether it's watching you play an instrument or harassing you for a piece of art or CD, it's so inspiring to have another creative person near. There have been many days I felt like letting go of art and hearing about your newest creations always snap me out of my funk.

JW: The glass (over) half-full stoic. You are the most levelheaded and positive person I've ever met. You consistently see the good first and see opportunity everywhere. The cynic in me dies a little bit each time you share something positive with me and now my glass is a little fuller than it used to be :)

So thank you all for being my friends and the core of my DSM family, I couldn't ask for a better group to be a part of and considering 25% of Americans don't have even 1 person they consider a confidant I know I'm pretty freaking lucky to have 5.

5 comments:

  1. Aww, what a heartfelt posting! :) I cannot imagine my life without you...all of our heartfelt convos - from our past experiences,to inner struggles...all the way to "Q's" :) And I'm pretty sure I couldn't find anyone else who thinks it's equally funny to drive down the road at a painfully slow speed. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...tear drop.
    thanks leslie! blessed to have you as a friend.
    rod

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw... Thanks. I'm (we're) lucky to have you as a friend! We have have to hug it out next time I see you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it bad that i've read this post like 5 times today?
    the first time made my eyes water, and the other times were to reflect on how great you are (and also to make myself feel good reading your affirmations).
    thank you. your friendship is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. can i copy jake's response? i feel the same. we are so luck to have you as a friend. love you.
    -S

    ReplyDelete