I've decided I need a desk job for the sheer fact I have found so much great new music lately and I get no time to really listen to it all. This week Deerhunter and Elbow are getting the most playtime on my iTunes.
Deerhunter is fab because of the sheer amount of ambient tunes they have in their songs. Nothing Ever Happened is my fave so far, but I haven't been able to give all the others a fair listen yet. It's got this trippy start with fairly monotone vocals then around 2:30 the vocals drop and it takes on this great hook that reminds me a ton of the beginning to I Will Posess Your Heart by Death Cab for Cutie .... But 5:00 is where it really gets good. I love the lines:
See through the wind to awakened stream
Adjust your eyes to the state of things
Focus on depths that was never there
Nothing's easy nothing's fair
The video is live, but still good.
As for Elbow they are pretty much Keane+Coldplay+Blue October-style vocals, so somewhat of your typical British swooner tunes except they have this unexpected old-school rock and roll vibe that when combined with Guy Garvey's raspy voice = AWESOME. I really can't figure out why these guys haven't hit it big ... oh, wait that's because the radio play in the US is full of pop crap! Either way I love, love, love Grounds For Divorce off of their most recent release The Seldom Seen Kid, 1:22 is where it officially starts to kick ass.
No comments:
Post a Comment