Tuesday, June 30

A Meeting of the Minds

So I finally finished up Freakonomics and was overall pretty pleased with it. I took Econ 101 in college from probably one of the best professors at ISU, Terry Alexander and this book reminded me a lot of him. There were a few things I read that really got my mind and opinion flared up, mainly the correlation between abortion and crime, but that's to be expected on such a "hot" topic. The book was somewhat of a struggle to get through simply because there was no underlying theme or climax, just lots of facts and numbers, but I am glad to have read it and thought the causation/correlation topics covered were thought provoking and interesting. Overall it was a creative way to explore economics and make complex principles more interesting, I can definitely see high school and college students benefiting from the book. I mostly look forward to more discussion while hitting up the beach or downing a bottle of wine with N for our first "book club meeting".

Up next on the summer reading list is A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle. There was a lot of chatter surrounding this book a few years back when Oprah wouldn't shut up about it. I'm not an Oprah advocate by any means, I much prefer Ellen, but I decided to investigate and give it a shot. Books on religion and spirituality are always interesting to me, even if they aren't necessarily something I agree on all points with, they are always good for conversation and debate. I highly recommend The 5 Love Languages (great for understanding all kinds of relationships) , The Shack (incredible and tangible explanation of the Holy Trinity) & Blue Like Jazz ("non-religious thoughts on Christianity"). If the topics of Christianity or more so spirituality interest you at all, all are easy reads and easily some of my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment