No, I am not talking about taking an exercise class, the music magazine or even the Jack's Mannequin song, I am talking about manipulating the public's opinion. In my case the position of my employment ... at the mall. While working at the BB with BGB the other night we got on the topic of how hard it is for me to answer when people ask me what I do for a living. It's not necessarily that I am ashamed of my job it's more of how the public perceives my job and then reacts. So I have decided to use cherry picking methodology and have come up with a new way to describe what I do to those who question. Here it goes:
Question Asker : So L, what are you up to these days? You're done with school right?
Me: Oh yeah I graduated from ISU a year ago and now I am working in management for a company out in WDM.
QA: I see, so what's it called?
M: Well, now that's a little hard to describe. It's a privately held division of JCTC which is owned by GGP. Basically we are a unit of a company that employs between 400-500 people which are focused on customer service reporting. I am on the management team for a quadrant of associates who specifically serve a specified demographic within DSM as well as other parts of the US, strange to hear I know, but it is really fascinating. I get to personally interact with around 100 individuals each day who are seeking to improve themselves, so there is a lot of direction and personal opinion positioning that I am able to provide. Yeah, there's a lot of confusing logistics involved and I don't see myself doing it forever, but right now it's great, I basically get to write my own schedule.
QA: *with confused look but confident that they really understood what I just said* Wow sounds like you are really putting that degree to work! Good seeing you, best of luck!
And there you have it, I just made folding shirts sound far more complicated than it really is and I didn't even have to lie. I just confused the person asking questions by using acronyms. For instance JCTC = Jordan Creek Town Center and GGP = General Growth Properties, the company that owns Jordan Creek. By the time I added in all the other hullabaloo, the listener has dropped off the face of the earth and won't bother to ask any more specifics. Perfect. Can't wait to give it a shot the next time I am out to dinner with the 'rents in LC and run into someone they know.
No comments:
Post a Comment