Monday, June 8

Deal Breaker / Deal Maker

Today N and I decided to "co-blog", after receiving a hilarious email from the daughter of one of N's coworkers. We were inspired to let you share in a little game we play called "Deal Breaker". The game originated back in oh, September or so when N and I hardly new each other and were headed to On The Border for some sangria margs. While driving to the restaurant N spotted a souped up Mustang and looked at me and said, "What would you do if you had a guy pick you up in that?" She was completely annoyed at the thought of it and thought I would follow suit with some sort of banter but all I could do is laugh and tell her I once dated a guy who drove a Mustang. She seemed a bit embarrassed as we laughed and I assured her he was a dbag and that I should have known the day we took his 'Stang out for a spin that I was on a road to nowhere. Conversation continued and we started filling each other in our each of our ex's. N mentioned that her ex Nick had a roommate Nic who spelled his name N-I-C .... no K on the end, she laughed and said it was so dumb, why didn't he put a K on the end, that would be a deal breaker. To this I erupt with laughter telling her that the guy I dated who drove the Mustang spelled his name N-I-C, no K. From that moment on I knew that not only would N and I be great friends but that we had just stumbled up on hours of great discussion, because really what are the deal breakers when finding a match?

Below are my Top 3.

These are always open for modification but will probably stand the test of time.

1) RELIGION
I am open minded, or at least I like to think I am. I am also a Christian and will tell anyone that who asks about my faith. For almost 5 years I dated a great guy who was agnostic, he was my first love,
awwwwww. I never thought it was a big deal until I really got in touch with my faith and what was important to me. We had marriage talks and whenever it came to conversations on how to raise "our kids" we seemed to argue to no end on if they would go to church or not. Long story short it was never going to work for us to have such opposing religious views. I can handle Catholicism and varying other degrees of Christianity but bottom line, if you don't believe in the "Big Guy" well, it's probably not going to work.

2) INABILITY TO READ SARCASM
If you have spent more than 10 minutes with me, you know I am sarcastic. If you can't pick up on my sarcasm and take up my sense of humor, it's never going to work. I dated a really great guy who just had the hardest time finding humor in the things I found humorous and boy, did it put a strain on us sometimes. I can be lewd and crude and I know I swear too much, but that's me, if you can't roll with the punches and keep me on my toes then unfortunately this isn't going to work. I love to laugh and make others laugh, so he's gotta be there laughing by my side.

3) ASSHOLE-ITIS
I'll admit it, I am a total sucker for assholes. It makes me mad, and I think I may have dated one of
IA's largest assholes for almost 2 years, I think I should have ran when I saw that his dad's motorcycle said "Born an Asshole" on it, but alas I did not. Don't get me wrong he had some great qualities to but overall the kid was an arrogant prick (sorry for the language, but my mom would agree with me on this and I can tell you stories that will make your head spin). Any who, I have grown since those days and I now know that the a-hole is not the way to go. I think general kindness will get you far in life and if you are a jerk, head in the opposite direction because I think I will have words to share with you that you do not want to hear.

But do not fear my friends for at the end of every storm is a tunnel of rainbow light ... or something like that. What I am trying to say is that for every Deal Breaker there is a Deal Maker. I know that my ideal man will have some sort of combination of the following traits, send him my way if you know him!

1) LOVE OF THE ARTS
I am an artist. If you have any appreciation for the arts you are my man. I don't care if it's music, theater, fine arts or you like to knit and make holiday wreaths instead of go out on Friday nights (sound familiar N?). I would love to be with someone who can understand and appreciate what I love the most. Bonus points go to guys who can play the piano.

2) EMPATHY
This is HUGE. I don't want to be coddled and cooed at, but dang it when I am upset at something as silly as you eating the last chocolate chip cookie and it brings me to tears for God's sake please have enough of a heart to just understand that I am upset and tell me you disagree without being a D-wad. The day I find a guy who calmly says "I understand where you are coming from and I get that you are upset but take a minute to listen to what I have to say .... " I will say DONE and DONE! So boys, work on being empathetic and not necessarily sympathetic, however bonus points go to someone who is both.

3) ABILITY TO PUT ME IN MY PLACE WHEN NEEDED
As weird as it sounds, I love it. I have a lot of personality and I know that sometimes I need to be knocked down a peg. I am aggressive and if there is a guy who can smartly put me in my place and make me think twice about what I said then that is great. We all need someone to keep us level headed, and if you can do that I am in! Bonus points go to the guy that keep a smile on my face while putting me in my place.

So there it is. I am currently accepting applications! Other fantastic perks my future husband may have include a sense of individuality, a motorcycle and the uncanny ability to please my father.

Check out N's list here!

2 comments:

  1. Nicely done L! We do have some similar dealbreakers and dealmakers, which is no surprise after all our discussions. Religion is a great one, that I too, have adopted. Also, if a guy can teach me how to make a wreath and let me teach him how to knit - then it's a match made in heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if I get my hands on a solid knitter out there, then man think of what the holidays could become for us!

    ReplyDelete