I have been working retail for the better part of 5 years now and have been in all sorts of markets from PT at VS in Ames to Minneapolis and back to DSM and now FT at BBro, and one thing seems to be undeniably clear: Retail employees are not human and should not be treated as such.
I cannot believe the lack of respect that I receive while HELPING someone find a product in my store. Tonight for instance I had a customer un-pin and try on 4 shirts of the same size and 6 pairs of pants in 2 sizes, not typically a problem, I get that people like to try stuff on and it's my job to re-fold the products that get tried on and put them away, trust me I'm not stupid. However, I do not deserve to be treated like crap for getting you what you ask for. I simply could not please this guy, not only did he treat my store's products like crap by flinging them everywhere, he asked me the same question 5 times expecting a different response. I can't help that you think you are a M when in all actuality you are an XL, it's not my fault that you ate an entire pint of Ben & Jerry's last night.
I've also had another customer treat me completely different after learning that I had a bachelor's degree and was in the process of beginning graduate school. I'll have you know most of the people I work with are college grads and those that aren't are some of the most educated and intelligent people I have ever met. But that's not the point, since when does your education level dictate how you should be treated?
Now don't even get me started on when I ask a customer "How are you doing?" and I get "I don't need any help" as a response. Lovely. I am glad you don't need help, but that's not what I asked you, I asked you how you were doing, and when you do decide you need help 3 minutes later you act like I didn't even acknowledge your presence, I can't win.
Thank goodness that there are a few great customers out there. I have one husband and wife duo that shop with me on almost a weekly basis with their adorable 2 year old son. Not only do they really value and trust my opinion but they actually know my name and have told me that they are always so happy to see me when they walk through the door.
What's my point? Respect the people in the service industry and don't go around messing up piles of clothes, someone has to re-fold that stuff. Take out your headphones and get off your cell when you shop, if you want to be left alone just say "hey thanks for offering to help, but if I need anything I'll come grab you ok!" How would you like it if you went to your boss and he was listening to headphones while you were asking him an important work question, or if someone came to your desk and made a mess of it and walked away? That's what I thought. Everyone deserves respect, just because you sit in a cube or behind a desk doesn't make you any better than someone behind a counter. The golden rule is one of the easiest to follow.
well said. i worked at a shoe store for several years and can definitely relate, although we probably pulled a slightly different clientele than your store.
ReplyDeletethe size-delusional customer was always my favorite. the lady that would come in and say she was a 7 and a half and, when i brought it out, it wouldn't even fit on her foot. after trying every size in between, she'd fit into a 9.5 and just be amazed. "this brand must run small." lol