Saturday, October 15

Let There Be Light!

So I am finally getting around to posting the kitchen light makeover. Let's begin with the original fixture. Oh, my it's terrible isn't it?


Lets get a closer look .....
 

You see I wasn't exaggerating when I said it looked like sperm, goodbye kitchen fertility lamp!


So down came the old chandelier and we began the assembly of the new one. Before I knew it we were done and ready to hang the new one. I snapped this gem while we were still on track to beat my mom's prediction of 2.5 hours to hang, things were going great and we couldn't figure out what was hard about hanging a new light fixture.


See? We even had the light working. We were ready to pretty much call it a day. Or so we thought....


We soon realized we had wired a connection backwards, then came the realization that the wires really did need to run up through this tiny mechanism so the cap would fit, then we untwisted some wiring while trying to feed the wires through this tiny fixture, then the whole fixture came down, then it went back up, then the light worked so we celebrated by washing the globes and realized we had eclipsed the 2 hour point. That's when I decided to make a grand contribution and we ended up with this ...


Yup I dropped the first globe we washed on the stove and broke it. Greg handled it really well, and surprisingly I didn't cry. Soon I was on the phone and internet trying to secure a new globe and G was wrapping up the rest of the light, or so we thought. We had all the globes and lights in and went to turn the thing on and, it didn't work. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Nope, we undid everything and found that the wires had become all untwisted again. I think we were both peeved at this point, but we pushed forward and eventually everything was working. AMEN! After a bunch of confusion we finally got a FREE new globe from the store and basked in the light from the wonderful new addition to the kitchen.


We couldn't believe how much light it added to the kitchen, and how much better it looked, and how great it is to not hit our heads on the fixture now that it's at the correct height!


Overall the install time was like mom said, just over 2.5 hours, but TOTALLY worth it! Next on the agenda is the flush mount fixture since it is nickel and has a white globe.

2 comments: