Friday, September 16

Only YOU Can Prevent Dryer Fires


Yes you read the title of my post correctly, and here's why I'm posting it. Last night as G and I prepared to leave his house and kenneled Willy I heard the dryer running. No, G's house is not mine, but I still asked him to go shut the dryer off before we left. He said it wasn't necessary and I insisted it was. My rationale? I fear a dryer fire. This is where 80-90% of my readers will think I'm crazy but I can verify that there are 3 people on this crazy train including HF and my mom. Now I might have said, "Fine your house do whatever not my problem" BUT we have THIS...
 No that pup may not look like Wills BUT we kennel the pup when away and IF the dryer caught on fire MY DOG IS LOCKED IN A KENNEL! He would not be able to get out and I (the good pup owner I am) will not risk his life. Upon my fit of parental rage the dryer did get shut off (I walked up there and did it). I also said, "You know I bet J (the house we were headed too) shuts her dryer off!" Little did I know she would not do such a thing. I then began to conduct my "study" and find that NO ONE except us three crazies shut our dryers off when we leave the house. WHAT?! So how about you? Shut your dryer off? If you don't I ask you to consider the following:
  • Clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries annually.
  • Eighty percent of clothes dryer fires in structures occur in residential buildings.
  • Annually, 12,700 clothes dryer fires occur in residential buildings resulting in 15 deaths and 300 injuries.
  • “Failure to clean” is the leading factor contributing to clothes dryer fires in residential buildings.
  • New home construction trends place clothes dryers and washing machines in more hazardous locations away from outside walls such as bedrooms, second-floor hallways, bathrooms, and kitchens.
I think I deserve some kind of public service award here ....

4 comments:

  1. And you shut the dryer off when you go to bed,right??????? No dryer fires while sleeping!!!!!!!!!M

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't turn off my dryer when i leave. but maybe you should get into the insurance industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #4 crazy here... I ALWAYS turn off my dryer before I leave the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i actually enjoy starting the dryer before i leave, because i like the idea of work getting done while i'm not around. but i don't like clothes to sit in there for too long after drying, so i don't ever start it unless i'll be back home in an hour or two.

    for 0% risk of fire-starting....clotheslines!!! :) i miss those.

    ReplyDelete