Tuesday, September 14

VMA Recap

So I decided to watch the VMA's while beginning the cleaning of my room on Sunday night and Chelsea Handler was hosting so I thought I'd get a couple laughs. I must say overall it was better than the last 2 years of Russell Brand hosting but I was less than impressed with Taylor Swift's performance, she really just seemed off pitch and not near as inspiring as she was last year. Also unimpressive was Kanye with his new song asking me to give it up for the assholes and douche bags ... um, no.

I will say was really blown away by the VMA's attempt to acknowledge some lesser known's though. I mean Florence + The Machine was up for TONS of awards including the Video of the Year. Let's get serious she didn't win but the song she was nominated for (Dog Days Are Over) is currently #4 on iTunes and she's gotten over 2 million YouTube hits on the song and there is no way that would have happened without some VMA love. I also was happy to see Broken Bells nominated for Best New Artist, and Robyn gave a pretty stellar outro performance to commercial break.

Here's a little Florence love ... and for the record I downloaded this tune on 11/12/09. I am so ahead of the popular music curve :)

1 comment:

  1. i'm not gonna lie and i'm prolly pompous for admitting it, but when it happens...it feels SO good to be ahead of the popular music curve.

    didn't get to see taylor but read that she was pitchy and underwhelming.
    saw kanye and, while a little funny, like you i was not feeling the shoutout to dbags.
    gaga's meat dress was fabulous.
    the red carpet preshow was painfully awkward as always.

    ReplyDelete