It was a long weekend.
It was one of the longest Sunday's of my life.
After spending a few days working in Iowa City I made the trek all the way back to LC for our annual family reunion on Saturday. After the shindig on Sunday I came back to DSM then drove back to Lanesboro in the night again Sunday night. Long story short my gramps is pretty sick and we almost lost him. Although this is not the first time we thought the Big Guy was going to take my Gramps I think it was a huge reality check for all of us.
The reality is that my Gramps is 91 and that he isn't going to live forever, but that doesn't make it easy on me.
The reality is that I miss my feisty Gramps running his finger up my back when I wasn't looking as a kid.
The reality is that my Gramps is an amazing man that kissed me on my forehead twice last night when I laid with my head next to his, and he patted my back, comforting me when he was the one needing comfort.
The reality is my kids will never get to meet this amazing man, nor will my future husband and that breaks my heart.
The reality is that even as I sat through one of the longest nights of my life with all of my family last night that I was reminded how lucky I am to have not only an amazing Gramps but the family that he and my Grams created laying right there beside me.
The reality is I have amazing friends that drove with me in the middle of the night to make sure I got back to my family safely without even thinking twice about it.
I know it's going to be a long haul from here on out and I hate to watch a man I love so much begin his departure from me and my fam, but I know where he is headed and I am so blessed to have been able to see him whenever I wanted since I was a kid.
It's never an easy thing to see a loved one's health continually to decline. But you're right - you're so blessed to have spent so many years with what sounds like an amazing man. Hopefully all the great memories you have with him will comfort you during this difficult time. I'm keeping you all in my prayers. Love you!
ReplyDeleteOh sister. I do feel your pain. My heart and prayers are with you.
ReplyDelete