Friday, September 3

I ♥ Ames

I am sitting here in Iowa City and still pouting over missing ISU's tailgating debut last night. Since both fall and football season have arrived I have been thinking a lot about the good 'ol days I spent in Ames. Man, I love that place. I met so many amazing friends in those 5 years, experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows and really, I grew up in Ames. I can't imagine spending those years anywhere else and frankly I think it would be a great city to retire in too. Here are just a few reasons I ♥ Ames.

Cyclones
DUH. I don't know why I am a Cyclone because my grandma was a huge Iowa basketball fan in the day and my pops definitely leans more toward the east side of our state as well but for me Cardinal and Gold are where it's at. Loving those Cyclones has been difficult since my move to DSM as most everyone I know loves the dirty birds from the east as well, at least I have LW on my side. I think part of the charm of the Cyclones is the fact that I can expect the worst and when they go and surprise the shit out of you and beat someone like Iowa you can celebrate excessively (which I have done on more than 1 occasion) and talk about it for a year. I also love me some tailgating. ISU's superior tailgate setup puts everyone together and seeing 100's of people show their support for one common goal (even if it is football) is pretty great. Combine that with bottles of Arbor Mist, bags, Bud Light and ridiculous amounts of grub and there is no way you aren't having a great time.

Campus
Fact: Iowa State has one of the most beautiful and perfectly designed campus' in the nation. Now you may think that is a silly statement but it is a fact. Because our campus originated 4 miles outside of the City of Ames we were able to build the campus around a central point, a park. Because the central campus is so open tons of students are able to lounge, study, nap and just hang out on the grass. I loved walking from Design to Hamilton hall everyday, I loved sitting on the steps at Curtis or the terraces at the MU and I loved laying in the grass outside of my dorms, those really were "the days".

Good Times
Yes I will contest that we knew how to throw a mean party in Ames. I have never once had fun in Iowa City but Ames was a hard place to not have fun. At any one point in college I could have gone to the bars and ran into someone I knew (at this point my mom is like, 'good God who did I raise?') but it was the truth. From my days at MoJazz to Cy's Roost to shakin' my thing at Sips after midnight, I had no shortage of fun thanks to my co-workers at VS. Gyros or McDonalds after close and walks with no shoes back to my apartment are the things I will never forget. Along with those come the freshman nights at the house on Ash or a frat basement where I fell down the stairs, each of those memories make me smile. Then there is VEISHEA. The yearly party that you are thankful comes but once a year (or every two if you decide to riot and get it canceled). I could write a whole post on VEISHEA shenanigans but will limit it to a :) because that is the easiest way to sum up that event. I also loved seeing the many small yet amazing shows at the M-Shop while in Ames, what a great venue.

Food
Some of my favorite restaurants are in Ames and I miss them dearly.
Hickory Park
Battle's BBQ (now closed)
The Cafe
Chinese Homestyle Cooking
Aunt Maudes
La Fuenta
Audubon's
The Flying Burrito
Gryos and Smiles (The Gyro Man)
Stomping Grounds
Cocost
Downtown Deli
West Street Deli
The Grove Cafe
Thai Kitchen

In addition to all of that I love the size of Ames, the people and most of all the memories that town gave me. I love visiting and re-living the college days (sometimes I wonder how I survived). I will always think of Ames as my 2nd home and for the record I still say it is 100 times better than this place I'm in called Iowa City :)

No comments:

Post a Comment