Tuesday, September 28

DIY

So I posted up my wreath today but didn't have my chalkboard done yet so here it is. This whole little guy cost me around $40 and I say that's a pretty good deal for a chalkboard this size. The whole concept came to me when I had one of my floor mirrors come into the store shattered. My DM told me that I should just take the frame home since corporate never replied to me with a disposal technique. I sat around wondering what I'd ever do with such a huge empty frame when it hit me, chalkboard! I've always wanted a big chalkboard wall, especially after my internship in Minnesota where we had chalkboard murals everywhere, but clearly we can't paint our rental so I thought this mobile version would be perfect.

So basically I just ran to Lowe's got a 1/8" sheet of plywood, which they cut to size for me, then a quart of chalkboard paint and voila, done. I had been researching liquid chalk after reading about it on a blog and finally got some purchased today (FYI they only sell it in 4 packs, and you only get one white one, stupid). I wanted to try the liquid chalk because I am very heavy handed when I write and smear my lettering constantly and this stuff won't rub off. I really like the chalk and I was able to get really precise but won't be using it again as I went through almost an entire marker of it on this alone.

So here it is, I used a quote that I just love to keep the positive vibe flowing, and to be the first thing I see when I wake up, but I think I will love changing this huge sign out for holiday's, birthday's and whatever days. I also got to work on a much larger scale then I am used to and got to try out lots of fun lettering styles, overall I think I like it.

5 comments:

  1. Sweet lettering - sweet frame... That's pretty 'beast' as the kids say these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really cool. Glad you got your creative juices from the Bauman side. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool. what a great product came out of a broken frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT TURNED OUT AMAZING. That would totally earn you an A+ in Mr. Enabnit's Art Class in Middle School. Totally. LOVE it and want to steal it for myself. very jealous!

    ReplyDelete