Monday, December 21
Reason For The Season
As Christmas approaches and I question whether I will be spending it alone on my couch here at 187 because of the weather, I remember its true meaning. I've missed holiday's here and there over the past few years, but it was by my choice and I think of potentially sitting in my house here on Christmas and get pretty bummed. But then I think of what I am bummed about; opening presents and spending time with my family, excess amounts of food and excess amounts of laziness. Seems like I've missed celebrating the meaning of Christmas somewhere in that list. As I work at the mall though the season I am exposed to 100's of frustrated shoppers, many with terrible dispositions, attacking my attempt to help them find a gift for what I presume is someone special, I think they've lost the meaning of Christmas too. I think of the media and the stories published on using the phrase "Happy Holiday's" vs. "Merry Christmas", I think our country has lost the meaning of the season as well. So maybe it's a good thing, maybe this year will be an opportunity for me to take more than a moment to remember that Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus, that guy who gave the ultimate gift of his life for me, and that the presents can wait.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
a la RENT:
ReplyDelete"Happy Birthday, Jesus."
hey friend,
ReplyDeletei like your positive attitude toward the weather/travel challenges. i hope your are able to have a merry xmas.
and your comment about happy holiday vs merry christmas got me thinking a bit. when i lived in chicago, i got in the habit of saying happy holidays because of the large jewish population we had at our Y. and now, one because i work in a public school and two, because we have a lot of kids that aren't christian, i still opt for happy holidays. but i have a made a point of using merry christmas when i'm around friends, family or back home...and it does feel nicer. thx for the reminder.
JW, you talk about how you were cautious about saying Merry Christmas around those of Jewish faith right? But does it make you uncomfortable to hear Happy Chanukah? Just curious :)
ReplyDelete