Saturday, November 21

Dear Jack

Jack's Mannequin is probably one of my favorite bands, definitely in the Top 3. I fell in love with Andy when I was in high school and was introduced to Something Corporate's Leaving Through The Window and since then he's only gotten better. Recently I discovered that Andy made a documentary about his battle with Leukemia called Dear Jack, and after some discussion and a missed showing of it at Fluer Cinema I decided to track it down and watch.

Cancer is so strange, so unexplainable and so unfair. I remember in the 3rd grade when my mom told me that she was taking my Grandma Toyne (the inspiration and artist behind my tattoo) to Omaha for a doctors visit, I looked at my mom and told her that my Gram had cancer, I was right. I don't remember much because I was so young but I do know my Gram was a fighter. She beat jaw cancer after two bone grafts from her leg and has been in remission for what I think is 16 years now.

Dear Jack was so powerful it wasn't only about cancer but about love and the will to stay positive which is why I am posting it during my week of positivity. I won't say much more, but I'll post the vid, it's only about an hour or so long (click the 4 arrows to watch in full-screen). I'm also posting a vid with Andy talking about the meaning behind each of his tattoos including one with the phrase "be positive". So awesome that he got that tattoo right before he found out he was sick and that his central line for chemo was placed right above it.



1 comment:

  1. Very reminiscent of the night we saw My Sister's Keeper...lots of tears.

    But what an inspiring story! Love him!

    ReplyDelete