Not only was there a wedding celebration this weekend but also stop #8 on Concert Tour '09. To recap N and I have been to the following shows so far this year, and collectively spent FAR too much money:
Brett Dennen - People's Court, Des Moines
Ben Folds - ValAir Ballroom, Des Moines
Gross Domestic Product - Hotel Fort Des Moines, Des Moines
No Doubt - Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas
Santigold - People's Court, Des Moines
The Envy Corps - Vaudeville Mews, Des Moines
Meese + Jack's Mannequin + (The Fray) - Starlight Theater, Kansas City
Panic! At the Disco + Fall Out Boy + Blink-182 at Westfair Amphitheater in Council Bluffs can now be added to the list. Although we were delayed almost an hour due to road construction we still made it to the show. N and I were joined on this stop by Rod and Naomi, and I think we all had a pretty good time, even though we felt really old and far too sober when compared to the rest of the crowd. As we drove over Highway 5 we saw a line of cars over 2 miles long waiting to get into the parking lot. We decided to grab some grub and pray for the line to go down. About and hour later we found ourselves in that same 2 mile line of cars trying to find a spot. We settled for a spot near the entrance, hoping it would prove to be a smart move when we decided to leave, and thank God we did park there because the parking was a real shitshow if I do say so myself. Over 15,000 people packed into the amphitheater to see the show. We caught 3 or 4 songs by Panic!, all of FOB's set and about 40 minutes of Blink-182 before darting out early to avoid the traffic jam 10,000 cars were about to cause. Panic! was fab, it sounded just like their CDs, FOB was not as great live but did surprise us all when they played a cover of "Don't Stop Believin'".
Blink stole the show and I still love them as much as I did when Enema of The State was released 10 years ago. (Side note: I still have my very first e-mail account an homage to the boys: leslie_b182) Their banter is hilarious even as they begin to approach 35+. It was hard to believe that a year ago Travis Barker was in recovery from that terrible plane crash, the crowd went nuts when he played a solo and he totally killed it. The boys played some great tunes including "Rockshow" and "Stay Together For The Kids" but the best song they played was "I Miss You". It took me back to some very important moments in my life, in fact I think it was even on a mix CD I got from a boy way back in the day. Tom DeLonge's voice at 1:17 still makes me melt. It was a perfect night for an outdoor show and a great way to end my 10-day vaycay. I'll leave you with the vid for "I Miss You" and my favorite lyric.....
Where are you and I'm so sorry // I cannot sleep I cannot dream tonight // I need somebody and always // This sick strange darkness comes creeping on so haunting every time
special thanks to Naomi for the tix!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment