If you've been keeping tabs on N and I you know that we both just finished reading My Sister's Keeper, something we both wanted to do before seeing the movie. Well tonight was the night. We went and saw the film. I have not cried that much at a movie ever. Period. Add together the tears from Armageddon, The Notebook, Steel Magnolias and Beaches and I still cried more. I cried within the first 10 minutes, it was pathetic. Thank God N was sitting beside me doing the same thing, because it was nice to feel ridiculous with someone.
It's hard to say the movie was good when you cry like that, but it was. I like Cameron Diaz in the serious role, it was a nice switch, and the kids that played Anna and Kate were fabulous. Will it win an Oscar? No. Was it the epitome of a chick flick? Yes. Will I purchase the DVD? Absolutely not. I would never want to subject myself to that kind of sadness ever again intentionally.
Seeing the movie really makes me wonder how parents with sick kids do it. It is entirely unfair. I can't even fathom the sadness a parent would feel if they lost a child. Bah. I can't even write about it, I get sad just thinking about it.
Anyway unless you think paying to cry is a good idea, I would not recommend the film.
It was a good movie - loved Cameron Diaz in a more serious role (I'm excited for her next one as well!) but, like you, will probably never watch it again...way too sad.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are as big of a cryer as I am!
I cried, I sobbed, I ran out of kleenexes, I used my shirt, and lost my appetite to eat my kettle corn, which NEVER has happened to me in my entire life. But, in the end, I loved it. I would never subject a husband or a father to see it. But, us strong women can hack it. I guess the book is a 100% different ending from the movie. Did you like that about it or hate it?
ReplyDelete