I'm a firm believer in the statement "everything happens for a reason". I don't know if I chose to place faith in this statement due to my religious upbringings or because it always answers the question "why" or because it was the best answer I was given during some pretty low points in my life, but no matter what I can always revert back to it when things get shitty.
I look back over this last year post my college graduation and for the longest time was pretty upset with it. TIMELINE >> I graduated, decided against moving to MN, broke up with a guy I was pretty certain I wanted to marry, took the first part of summer to relax and work 2 lightweight jobs, took August entirely off, started up what I thought was going to be a fabulous design job with a local firm only to get laid off within 2 months. I then struggled with making the decision to go back to VS over the holidays and now finally seem to have settled in with the BBro scene. Don't get me wrong I am more than thankful to have a full-time job and a steady paycheck, but folding shirts for 8 hours at a time and dealing with unhappy customers who see no problem with lying to my face on a daily basis makes me question why I am $30,000 in debt to ISU, I digress. << What I am trying to say is that this is the last place I would have pictured myself a year ago.
I also know a fair amount of my friends are working jobs they never pictured themselves to be in, contemplating moves for the future and struggling to break through past events that have broken them up inside. I think it's time to take a step back and find value in the moment we are in right now.
I sat on the couch next to my 90 year old grandpa today and listened to him talk about the decision he has to make. He can either continue taking some blood thinning medication but run the risk of having a random massive bleed out OR he can quit the medication and run the risk of getting a blood clot and having a stroke. Upon telling me this he let me know that he was scared of his choice but then he simply put his hands together looked down and said, "Well Kiddo, I've had a good life." I will forever remember that moment with him and my grandma.
As I drove back to DSM today I realized how much I have taken this last year for granted. Not only have I been blessed with some amazing new friends but also the freedom of truly becoming an adult. No this isn't where I planned my life to be, but I am here for a reason and on the day I realize my road is coming to and end I want to be able to say the same thing my wonderful Gramps said ... "I've had a good life."
No comments:
Post a Comment