Thursday, June 4

There I Go Judging Again...

I had a lovely day off today so I took my book down to Raccoon River park with a blanket and perched myself on the beach. While at the beach I saw a large number of people in their mid twenties, drinking and having a great time.

Wait. It's Thursday.

Pretty soon out roll the bongos and guitars followed by polish horseshoes (which by the way I think 187 needs to begin to play). It's at this point I wonder why the heck there are so many people out drinking on a Thursday afternoon, don't these people have jobs? Apparently not. I know that I get midweek days off, but this crowd was definitely amongst the unemployed, and it began to irritate me.

Soon I found myself listening in on a conversation by some guys nearby (in all actuality I was hardly eavesdropping, these guys had been drinking for awhile and were talking a little louder than they should have been). One of the guys was talking about how he just got laid off from his airport security gig, he then told his crew that he had applied for 65 jobs in the last two weeks and hadn't heard from any of them. Now I don't know this kids employment history or education level but that is insane to me. He had checked out Kum and Go's, Casey's, Domino's, Git-N-Go, Pizza Hut and several other places and nowhere had a job opening. I also heard earlier this week that another ad agency in DSM laid of 19 of its 160 employees, almost 12% of the staff. It was then that I decided I was in no place to judge the crowd at the park. I had been there just a few short months ago.

I just hope that Obama's choices are going to help improve this economy, I may not have voted for the guy but I still am giving him 100% of my support as my President, I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment