Today at lunch I said to G, "what do you think my nightmare job would be" and since I am totally transparent in my thought progression he looked out the window and said, "window washer". Although that would absolutely terrifying, I was thinking it would be the person who would hang a flag on this flag pole I can see from my chair on the 17th floor .... See it the one that is on the right? Sure there is no flag on it now, and I say for a good reason, no one would want to to that job!
But there is one fear I come into contact with when I meet G for lunch in the Hub and it's ridiculous. It's the escalators to the food court there. They are a terrible experience, I think I am losing my balance, I sweat profusely and often have to muster the courage to take the first step after G is part way down. It has been a fear since I was a little kid and ran from my parents on them at the Mall of America on the second day it was open (yes, we were there). Although the food court ones are terrible because they are narrow and have open sides the worst I've ever had to deal with are these ....
The curved escalators at the Forum Shoppes in Cesar's Palace Las Vegas. Not only are they SUPER tall, and have open sides but they curve and it's enough to induce a panic attack, just ask Nic. I hope somehow I can conquer this fear of heights/stairs/loss of balance, because I think G is getting grossed out! Anyone else have an irrational fear?


True story - making me feel your sweaty palms at Caesars and trying to distract you from having a full melt down :) "...oooh, look, Anthropologie!!"
ReplyDeleteI don't think my phobia of mice is irrational, but some people may think my reactions to the mouse incident of 2009 to be a bit irrational! Birds is another one that some people think is odd
I never knew this about you Les. I too fear heights! I agree with G - The window washers at my place of work are so brave... yet distracting... I can't think of a worse job... Luckily they only wash the outside of our windows at the office about twice a year.
ReplyDeletewow. had no idea.
ReplyDeleteand, oddly, 2 days after reading your post I came across an blurb in a magazine at the Y about an outdoor escalator in Columbia, 1200 ft long, takes 6 minutes to ride.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/giant-outdoor-escalator-1260-feet-187967
sounds like a vacation!!!!
bridges. One time they were doing work on that stupid long bridge between 141 and Polk City and I had to SIT STOPPED on it for like a half an hour. I thought I was going to die right there.
ReplyDeleteOMG. Birds too. I hate birds. You know that stupid cage at the zoo where you can get in and get birds to sit on your finger with peanut butter or whatever? WOULD RATHER die than get in there. I do, on the other hand, know where this fear comes from - the time a pigeon got into my house and Guthrey wouldn't leave work to get it out. It touched my head, pooped on my floor and to this day Guthrey still makes fun of me about it.
ReplyDelete