G and I have been on the road each of the last three weekends hitting up KC, LC and Clarion and I am ready for a Sunday at base camp. Our last trip to the LC was bittersweet. My dad is getting ready to retire (weird) and the building our family business is in is now for sale. I spent hours there as a kid playing in my loft style playroom and as a teen digging through the massive apartment sized storage space above our store and working over the holiday's, not to mention my post-college lunch dates with my dad. I have lots of memories there, that's for sure. But as we ready the store to sell we had to tackle our "storage space". Let's be honest we kept a lot of shit, right mom? :) Or so I thought. I was totally cool with the idea of just pitching all of this "junk" into the dumpster and calling it a day but once I was confronted with my Barbies, dance costumes, 4-wheeler and other various parts of my childhood it began to be hard to just throw it away. I felt like I was hastily clearing out my childhood and it was a little rough. I pretty much tossed it all, except those 2 dance costumes which were so tiny and cute I just had to tell my mom to keep them. Oh, and then there was this

that's right I did win the "most improved" award at b-ball camp in '98. Let me just say I won this primarily because I went from making 0 shots on day one to making several on day 5 haha. Here's also a photo to reference, and yes I am wearing a puka shell necklace which I still own.
I also managed to swipe some other goodies including an old typewriter which will live in my office one day, an antique croquet set, along with a craftsman library desk similar to this
two chairs that I will be having re-stuffed and re-upholstered that I am ecstatic about that are this style but the arms don't flare out.
and finally an antique trunk like this
let's just say I may have a few projects to take care of! Even though we spent the morning clearing out the store it feels good to know my dad is ready to leave it behind and start a new chapter in his life, I think we all are pretty excited about it!
Looks like you got a hold of some great things - so exciting!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, the picture of you in your b-ball uniform, complete with the puka shells, made my day :)