Sunday, January 9

Frozen: Week 1

I survived Week 1! I plan on holding myself accountable here as I go through this spending freeze so here is my first update.

I brought my lunch each day this week at work and I didn't hit the food court once! Yes, I did go to the Buck twice but I was finishing up a wonderful giftcard from N's parents so doesn't count against the freeze :) However, I did dine out 3 times. Please note this is MUCH better than my average of 10 or so.
1 - Lunch with my friend Cara who moved from DSM to KC this week. This was pre-planned and I only ordered an appetizer.
2 - Lunch with S & N. I needed to connect with my besties and some pizza at Fong's seemed appropriate, it cost me under $6.
3 - Arby's Friday night. I was craving it, I was tired of sandwiches. Sue me.

I did not shop. Not once! We got in some AMAZING new Spring arrivals. I was feeling the temptation hardcore and even JW & LW agreed that the new dress and cardigan I was lusting after was indeed cute, BUT I held strong! I know I can do this.

It's funny how God works. Today as I settled into the sermon at Hope I heard Pastor Mike dive into what a consumer driven life we lead. He talked about how we always want the newest and best. We want more, more, more! and how "things" have come to dictate our happiness. I sat there with the biggest hunk of guilt in my throat. His words rang so true and I became so sad at the person I had let myself become over the last 2 years. It's true, my drug of choice is shopping. I self medicate with shoes and clothes and stuff because when you aren't feeling good about who you are at least new things make you happy for the moment. I am so glad I am bent on changing this part of my life because I want my happiness to be based in the grace and blessings of God and supported by the people in my life not the things I own. Pastor Mike continued by breaking down the word happiness and connecting it to Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, it was wonderful and if you want to listen for yourselves check it out HERE .

So now it's on to Week 2, can't wait to share my next round of successes! Also, special thanks to all my friends supporting me on this quest. It really is a struggle for me and your support is much appreciated and needed :)

3 comments:

  1. Congrats - way to go - luv ya, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic start! it IS tough, but you're doing great (better than me for sure!).
    keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am the same way. Shopping is my drug. I find it amazing you can stay strong while working at a great store. I couldn't do it.

    ReplyDelete