Saturday, October 16

Humbled

Well it's my first day back in the metro and I am enjoying my last two days of vacation but I must say that this morning provided a truly humbling moment for me.

A few months ago my mother let me know that a Doctor in Rockwell City and a former classmate of my father's had been diagnosed with ALS or Lou Gherig's Disease. While I was stunned at the news I really had no idea what ALS was or it's impact on those who suffer from it. This morning my mom asked me if I wanted to walk with her in an ALS walk here in Des Moines to support Dr. Knauf and I figured I could handle the 3 miler with her so away we went.

As I reached Principal Park I noticed a friend of mine there walking for her Grams as well as a girl I attended college with. I really didn't think anything of it to be honest, just thought it to be a coincidence. Let's get real for a minute because I really was more irritated by the fact that this girl was toting around a 2-year-old and I was well, where I am. Anyway, the director of the event said a few words and I in typical fashion am paying about 34% attention and then it hit me. As the director was calling some people on stage to participated in the "Best T-Shirt" award I saw the girl from ISU, her kid and finally her husband take to the stage. As I watched her husband it was quite apparent that he was "Mike" on the shirt, he was the one with ALS.

In a moment it was clear to me that this family was going through a struggle so painful that I can't even begin to imagine how I would cope, especially if I were in her position, as a wife at 26. You see ALS affects the nervous system and its interactions with muscles. Those suffering lose all control of their muscles including the functions of breathing and swallowing, all while their minds and rest of their body functions normally. There is no known cure for ALS and sadly the disease is so debilitating that only 20% of those affected live longer than 5 years.

In a moment I saw how precious life is. In a moment I was taken over with such intense emotion and regret that for one minute I was jealous of she and her baby. In a moment I was thankful. Sometimes it takes a big whap from God to bring us to our knees and I got that this morning and I can't help but wonder why I so vividly remembered that girl from college. It's also funny how I picked up A Prayer for Owen Meany this week and read intensely about how Owen doesn't believe in coincidences, I think I am beginning to agree.

1 comment:

  1. ugh...perspective is tough to keep in mind as we work through our lives, it is good to have experiences like this that remind you that 1-we have it pretty good for the most part, and 2-there are people out there that need our help, prayers, etc.

    ...and nice owen meany shout out at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete