Sunday, September 26

New Work

Thanks to some good friends and tons of inspiration I've been making stuff lately. I can't tell you how much I love making this stuff, it just lets me go to my one true "happy place". Even if it's not always the most original idea I love attempting to re-create works, or finding creative and interesting ways to re-interperet something someone else has done. Most of all I like making people happy, and this has all been pretty well received. So who's next? I'm taking orders and would love to make you something beautiful :)

Bathroom Rules 11" x 14" - Holly & Joe
Holly sent me these rules and some inspirational pieces as well as some color samples. This is what we came up with! I think I will be ordering another for myself because I liked it so much. The final picture does the print no justice, but I think the frame really made the print fit into her bathroom so I wanted to show that too!

INSPIRATION
FINAL
My biggest challenge here was praying for a color match and achieving enough contrast with the type against such a light blue background. We also spent 2 entire mornings frame hunting through West End Architectural Salvage and Market Day & finally struck gold at Michael's where we got this most perfect frame for 40% off!


Music Speaks
11" x 14" - LW
LW is heading out on tour and dropping a CD next month and Holly sent me a print that made her think of me and it made me think of LW so I just had to make my own version to give him as a celebratory gift. Something tells me my version (including his very own charcoal frost metallic fender stratocaster) is a bit more masculine.

INSPIRATION
FINAL
As a note to this piece, below is the original photo LW sent me. My favorite part of this was the challenge of making a snapshot work in a poster. I also printed it on high quality artisan paper which may be my new favorite thing, the quality is AMAZING!



Promo Poster
11" x 17" - Cashes Rivers
Like I said LW's band is hitting the road and having a CD release party. He sent me their poster and was hoping I might be able to make something a bit more visually descriptive of the band. So I put on their tunes and went to town. We went through several iterations and finally got this gem which incorporates the album art. Make sure to check out their new CD, or at least the tune "Flowers" on their MySpace page because it is amazing, I can't shut it off!

ORIGINAL
REVISED
My biggest challenge here was incorporating the album art (pictured below) into my design. Creating a transition that makes sense between such contrasting colors can be (and was) a challenge as you can see the purple tones in the illustration gradate to black whereas my poster needed to gradate to tan. I will also say I don't love "faking" design by using lots of stamps and grunge effects but here it works. I love how this turned out and I got to spend some time creating experimental typography which is one of my absolute FAVORITE things.


So those are the newest additions to my design arsenal. This week I hope to get my giant chalkboard illustrated so that will be next.

Nic and I also booked a trip to Vegas thanks to my AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL AND GENEROUS parents and plan on devoting our blogs to "Doing Vegas on the Skinny" as we will be setting a tight budget and proving that you can eat good and have fun for under $500 in Vegas!

I also am currently fighting a horrible pinched nerve in my neck and back that is making my left arm numb so if you know a good chiropractor, natural healer, medicine man or magician that can take this pain away please let me know ASAP :) Wow random last 2 paragraphs huh?



4 comments:

  1. Guurrrlllll, you are so freaking talented I can barely stand it!!! Excellent work here!! Can't wait to see how the chalkboard turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Your parents are too much! Can't wait for the trip and especially excited for our budget challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pieces.
    i'm sure you know, but it doesn't hurt to say it, i think you are completely amazing with your psd/illustrator talents, design knowledge and creative mind.
    keep spreading your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you're so crazy talented! insanely jealous of your mad skillz.

    ReplyDelete