Wednesday, August 4

Weekend Roundup ... better late than never?

So I never wrote about one of the best weekend trips ever and I feel as if I need to document this so I'm sorry for the late post.....

For the last two years I have been bugging Nic and S&J to go camping, why? I have no idea. I'm not necessarily outdoorsy unless it's something like this


So nothing had really happened until one day I stumbled across Jack Johnson tour dates and duped the crew into heading to the Apple River for the weekend for tubing and an outdoor concert. So that's exactly what we did and I don't think I could have traveled with a better crew. Here's the weekend breakdown:

Friday
- S&J picked up our sweet Town and Country mini-van (yeah, that's right we rented a mini-van
and it was awesome
- Packed up the mini-van and figured out the basics of what would and would not fit

Saturday
- The boys and the Holtgrewe's came over bright and early (like 6am-ish) and we were on the road shortly after
- Breakfast at the Boondocks
- Bathroom break at the creepiest rest stop in the world
- Team crosswords
- Long drive through Stillwater, MN because Lumberjack Days were going on. It was here we discovered that the massive windows in the van rolled down and we rolled with them down for a few miles.
- Arrival to the campsite
- Tent set-up and lunch
- Tubing the Apple River where we met LW's alter ego "Johnny", I told someone I was a sophomore in college and they replied with "more like a sophomore in mom" (ouch), we enjoyed beers, sun and me making a fool out of myself more than once
- Loss of my aqua sock within the last 5 seconds of being in the river but was lucky enough to find a random sandal for my left foot and stole that to take the aqua sock's place
- NAP!
- Me tripping out of the tent, into an empty fire pit and face first into the rear end of the car next to our campsite. This almost resulted in a broken jaw but thanks to S's quick reaction with an ice pack and N's backrub I managed to survive with only my pride injured and being irritated that it wasn't all caught on camera
- Fire #1 ... 2 hours to get going - hot dogs and s'mores
- In bed by 11pm

Sunday
- 0 sleep due to our out of control neighbors yelling, "Fu¢k! This place is a mess! This $hit's Fu¢ked!" (Sorry Mom, I know the use of a ¢ sign doesn't really disguise the word, but this was a funny part of the trip)
- Fire #2 - 3o minutes to get going - omelets in a bag
- A long conversation with above neighbor in which we told her we were all "together", she believed us.
- Ladder golfing
- Fire #3 - 45 minutes to get going - BLT's and sweet corn
- Ladder golfing, UNO
- First showers of the weekend
- Fire #4 - 45 minutes to get going - hamburgers and brats
- JACK JOHNSON CONCERT!!!! Absolutely fantastic. Loved every second, would see him again in a heartbeat
- Realized the mini-van was dead and got a jump from our neighbors
- Dance party in the van to Enrique
- In bed by 12am
- Tummy sticks ... kidding!

Sunday
- Up and going by 7am
- On the road shortly after
- Amen for the BlackBerry and the Garmin leading us to Capital Cafe in St. Paul. The best random breakfast place ever!
- Pit stop at REI where Nic and I got matching fleece jackets and where LW and I lusted after longboards ... I still think we need 'em!
- Off to IKEA (not a 20 minute drive)
- Back to Iowa by 12:45
- Naps, crosswords, sore butts, 1 rest stop and home by 4:30.

What a weekend. My travel companions were fab and I will post pictures as soon as SH gets 'em to me. Would I do it again? YUP but only if a cabin were involved :)

AWWWWW Harmangrewans!

1 comment:

  1. Good run down of the trip - one for the memory books for sure! I agree - next time we're cabin-ing it!!

    ReplyDelete