Thursday, July 22

My Mom Is Amazing ... If You Didn't Know

If you didn't get the memo last week was a rough one and I think my mom got the worst of it via phone on Saturday night and let me tell you she tried to pull a fast one on me today to make me feel better.

I was just contemplating the finer points in showering late this morning when my phone rang, it was the Mom. I immediately thought it had to be bad as she was calling at a strange time but this was not the case at all. When I answered she asked me what I was doing then asked why I wasn't at work because she was standing in my store. What?! Mom I am at my house, un-showered and still disgusting from last night's volleyball game (don't judge me). She said to hurry up and get cleaned up and meet her and my aunt Jeannie for lunch. I sped through my routine to be greeted outside of Cheesecake Factory by with a big (and much needed) hug from my family. Norene then proceeded to take me out to an amazing lunch, buy me cheesecake and let me know there was a treat for me in my fridge at work. Unfortunately she wasn't able to surprise me (which I was also bummed about because she had a really good plan) but she did bring be a HUGE bag of Rainier cherries and a bouquet of daises. AMAZING, right?! I couldn't have been happier.

But here's the best part, knowing that my mom loves me enough to drive almost 4 hours round trip to only spend a little over an hour with me for lunch, which she proved when I asked why she was in Des Moines for the day and she answered with, "to see you". I think that is a pretty big deal. I think a lot about being a parent and the kind of selflessness that has to come along with it. My mom (and dad) has given up countless hours of vacation, far too much money and tons of their heart for me. My parents always put my sister and I first and I know I take it for granted how lucky I am to have them be so involved in my life. So thank you both for making a bad week so much better and for giving up a bit of you to make me. I love you both to the moon and back!

Norene and Jim ... simply the best!

4 comments:

  1. Aw.... Moms! Gotta love the good ones. This story was great until you challenged our mom to a mom-off last night, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moms are the best!! They always know how to make you feel better. You're a lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Moms! Great post Les and I love the pic. Now I see where you get your stunning good looks from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am now drooling over the red velvet cheesecake from the Factory. Seriously, it's to die for. Almost as much as your saint of a mom is to die for. good for you. you needed that kind of love when it's been that kind of week!

    ReplyDelete