Monday, April 12

Fuller Road You Did Not Win!

Today was a big day for me as I completed my first run over 6 miles in length. As far back as I can remember 6 has been the magic number, but today I did 7! I hit up mapmyrun.com before I set out and found what I thought to be a perfect 7 mile course, that was until about the 3 mile mark. As I headed north on Fuller Road I found myself out of sidewalk. That was when my off-road run began and continued for a solid 3/4 of a mile, as I hit the 4 mile mark my legs were on fire! I used to run grass in high school but it was on a golf course and fairly flat, this was not the case of Fuller Road. I struggled through the warmest part of the day and finished my run and I am definitely feeling it tonight but I really felt good for the majority of the time so that was positive.

When I run I always am jamming on my pod but since I run alone I always find myself in deep thought for a portion of my run. Usually it's while I am fighting to keep one foot in front of the other and today I began thinking about struggle. As I "struggled" to finish a run I began to think about the kids without shoes that Blake Mycoskie has devoted his life and work to, I think about my family and friends who are fighting against cancer and how my measly 7 miles doesn't even compare to their struggle. My mind wanders to the people of Haiti and how the people there are struggling to survive as I am taking for granted the luxury of a day off of work to enjoy a run in expensive shoes and running gear and I am reminded of how all of my struggles combined are nothing compared to others in the world. Then I found myself in prayer and honestly it was pretty cool. As I ran I just opened up this part of my heart and poured out all of the feelings I was having to God and as crazy as it sounds it was seriously awesome. I finished my run and felt so full. I really hope that running can continue to be a spiritual place for me, maybe I'll actually start to enjoy it then :)

This was my route ... Although the houses from Mills to Grand on Fuller are stunning I don't recommend going much further, unless you have 4-wheel drive.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 7 miles! Dam to Dam won't know what hit 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool, would love to be able to go to that place, love ya, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great run and good time spent connecting.

    i like your route, may have to venture out to WDM and give it a try.

    nice work!!

    ReplyDelete