Saturday, January 16

Letters From Home

I have been hanging out at Casa De Bauman in the LC for a few days and it has been really nice. Don't get me wrong, I miss the "metro" and the crap-hole of 187 but being in the LC definitely reminds me of a few reasons why I love where I grew up.

- Everyone waves. Doesn't matter if they know you or not, whenever you pass someone in the counrty or in town they wave and you wave (or raise 4 fingers off your wheel) back at them

- You trust everyone. Since I've been home my mom has forgotten her purse in the weight room of our hospital (that's right we had a family workout at the "gym" if you will) and left her purse in our running car outside of Sparky's (gas station). I on the otherhand still lock my car doors.

- You've got the community on your side. The mother of a classmate of mine has recently become very ill and was given as little as 8 weeks to live. There has already been a chicken noodle dinner at at her church organized to raise money for her. Awesome.

- Cheap shopping. I ritually head to our local gift shop the day after Christmas to get a steal on some new decorations, but this year missed my trip due to the snow. Norene informed me that the gift shop at the hospital had their Christmas decor on sale for 75% off so naturally I checked it out. I walked away with a new snowman, a "Christmas" sign, small tree & star that says "believe" on it for a whopping $9.25! Norene was even kind enough to take it out of her paycheck for me, SCORE!

- Baths. Yes, I shower regularly but taking a good bath at 187 is never going to happen. I love reading in the tub, and the tub I grew up with is the only one I trust.

- Grandparents! I'm luck enough to still have 2 of my grandparents. They still live at home and teach me something new each time I visit. Whether it's who owns 70 acres of land 10 miles west and 3 miles south of the "4 mile corner" or how to bake a pie, they've always got something for me. This trip I finally did sit down with my grandma and watched her make my favorite, chocolate pie (because I gave her the best present she's ever gotten). Who knew a cold sock and an ice cream scoop were needed? Watch out DSM, Nic may make cheesecakes but I will bring the pies!

Tomorrow I FINALLY get to have Christmas and there is a big box under that tree with my name on it, can we say new bedding?!? I certainly hope so!

Please note that before I was 30 miles outside of DSM I thought that I had already encountered the dreaded "truck nuts", thankfully as I passed the truck I saw it was simply a cowbell, phew.

1 comment:

  1. i love and totally agree with everything except the grandparents (not lucky enough to have any) on on your list.
    hooray for rural iowa.

    ReplyDelete