Friday, January 1

Decade In Tune v2.0

As I read the comments left on my last post I feel as if I left you hanging out to dry, of course there are reasons for my album choices! Here are my thoughts.....

Justin Timberlake // FutureSex/LoveSounds
I can still remember the first time I heard SexyBack. I was sitting at the intersection of Beach and S. 4th Street (near the stadium) in Ames with my friend Nikki. We had just come back from lunch and the DJ was announcing JT's newest single. I didn't even believe it was him and thought the chorus said, "take it to the fridge". That was the summer of 2006. When the full track set appeared in September I was in heaven, SexyBack quickly fell to the back of the pack as tunes like Chop Me Up, LoveStoned & my favorite What Goes Around took the lead. It was a great break-up CD and his show the following winter in Omaha is still my #1 concert.

Panic! At The Disco // A Fever You Can't Sweat Out
I was introduced to this album by my friend and co-worker Andy, who also turned me on to People and Planes. This is one of the few albums out there that sounds best from start to finish, the songs blend perfectly together, which is probably why this CD was what I instinctively would turn on while on my 30 minute Cy-Ride trek during my Junior year. It was the perfect mix of techno and pop. I love how the songs are built and the lead singer Brendon Urie's voice is magical. I was really looking forward to their 2nd CD only to find it had an entirely different sound, it definitely took me awhile to warm up to it. I saw them in concert this summer and was pleased to hear that Brendon sounds just as good if not better live.

Rage Against The Machine // The Battle Of Los Angeles
What can I say about this? Well, I think I went through that angry teen phase and this album made it okay to yell. Their politically charged and smart lyrics were far from the boy band craze my friends were engulfed in and there's something about Zack de la Rocha that gets me all hot and bothered. Unfortunately I fell in love with these guys the year they decided to call it quits. Songs that make this album fab still to this day? Testify, Sleep Now in the Fire & Born of a Broken Man.

Something Corporate // Leaving Through the Window
Yet another album introduced to me in high school. I listened to tons of stuff on the Drive-Thru label and the first time I heard If You C Jordan I was hooked. You can sing at the top of your lungs to this CD and it is perfect for road-tripping, especially the tune I Woke Up In A Car. You know this was a good album when you show up at your boyfriend's house to read a note that says, "decided to go to the Something Corporate show in Omaha with the boys, I'll call you tomorrow" ... on your birthday.

Garden State Soundtrack
I'll admit I loved this movie the first time I saw it, from there on out it's been more of a love/hate relationship but I can say the best part of the whole ordeal is the soundtrack. This album marks a sharp change in my musical tastes. I fell away from ska and punk and drifted into the indie scene after hearing this and had a dorm dance party or two to Lebanese Blonde. The songs fit the movie perfectly and even though I don't usually care for Z Braff he knows how to put together some killer mixes (see also the soundtrack to The Last Kiss). Without this soundtrack I would have ever stumbuled across artists like The Shins, The Postal Service, Death Cab, Frou Frou, Imogen Heap etc. etc.

Postal Service // Give Up
I probably should have this be my #3 the more that I think about it. I was given this CD along with Garden State and Frou Frou's Details CD and I don't think I listened to anything else that Spring. Listening to this takes me back to sitting at my desk in my dorm my Sophomore year wondering what the hell I was doing with my life, it's definitely an emotional recall to say the least. Such Great Heights has one of the best intros out there and I still listen to this on a regular basis, please boys get together for a second album!

Jack's Mannequin // Everything in Transit
I pretty much listen to at least one song on this album everyday. I initially received it from a friend in college but never gave it a solid listen until N, LW and I hit up a show in Omaha, man was I missing out. Nic and I sing these songs constantly and after watching Andy's documentary on his battle with Leukemia this album became even cooler. Jack's is one of my top bands and it's because of albums like this, not a song to skip. Best line: "My life has become a boring pop song and everyone is singing along"

Coldplay // X&Y
Fix You. That's all I can say when I think about this CD. This album got me through what I hope was the worst broken heart I'll ever have to feel. That track alone can still bring tears to my eyes, proven at their show this Summer at Wells Fargo.

"When you try your best but you don't succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need
When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
Stuck in reverse.

And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

And high up above earth or down below
When you're too in love to let it go
But if you never try you'll never know
Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you

Tears stream, down your face
When you lose something you cannot replace
Tears stream down your face and I...

Tears stream, down your face
I promise you I will learn from my mistakes
Tears stream down your face and I...

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you. "


Killers // Hot Fuss
This is another one of those albums that takes me to a time of change and anticipation in my life. I can remember driving back from Minneapolis with my bestie Britt and hearing the song "Midnight Show" while thinking to myself if only she WOULD drive faster! This is by far their best album and I was lucky enough to see them in Davenport with Tegan and Sara my sophomore year of college.

Eve6 // Horrorscope
I can still sing this from start to end and remember spending an entire summer jamming to this in both my boyfriend at the time's Explorer and my Lincoln Continental. I can't get sick of this album, it puts me in such a good mood. I think almost everyone I know loved this when it hit the shelves. Again, it is best enjoyed start to finish, you will need to skip no tracks as you cruise to this. I clearly remember being late to Cross Country practice one morning as Ashley and I screamed the lyrics to Promise at the top of our lungs, I also may have danced to Here's To The Night, in the middle of a gravel road (aren't high school boys just so romantic?!).

So there it is, the justification to my Top 10 albums of the first decade of the 21st century, what a trip down memory lane.

No comments:

Post a Comment