Friday, July 24

Anniversary Time

So I have officially spent my first year in "the Metro" or "DeMo" or "The DSM" or more properly "The WDM". When I moved here I wasn't expecting a lot, and I figured that by this time I'd be off to Minneapolis or Cali or somewhere, but the more I live here the more I really have begun to love and appreciate this place, here are a few of the fantastic things that have happened in the last year, I really am blessed!

Roomies
I had not had roommates in almost 2 years when I moved into 187, and was a little nervous about living with 2 people I basically did not know, luckily I was given N and K & D some of the best ladies around! Although, K & D were only with me a short time it has been fabulous getting to know them and spend time with them, especially now that I know I have a place to stay in both Omaha and Orlando ;) N is pretty much the best thing I have in DSM. I have never met anyone who has gone through so many of the same experiences as me and has so many of the same view points. N is officially my P.I.C. (partner in crime) and I can't think of anyone better to have as a bestie. Now if only Britt W would move down here then everything would be perfect!

Old Friends Made New Again!
Moving here got me back close to some of the people I grew up with and have known for my entire life. E moved back from NYC, S came with me from Ames, Dyl came here from "The Pitt", Emily, Sam, Max & Macy moved from Emmetsburg and I am finally within a 5 mile radius of Rod & Naomi, so our friendship has continued to grow!

Co-Workers
Even though I was only at my design job a short time I met some great contacts and wonderful friends there. We still meet for lunches and I know they would have me back in a heartbeat if they could. BBro has given me Hill, McBauer and B-B0b, these characters bring out the best in me and the worst in my mouth! I also met tons of great ladies at VS as well as reunited with one of my best friends from college Britt D. Without these people, I wouldn't be able to get through my days.

Recreational Activities
One of my favorite things about living here are my rec volleyball teams. The Horrific Killer Pandas and their alter ego the Penguins of Mass Destruction have provided me with hours of entertainment and competitive spirit. We are growing as a team and really starting to play well together, it's exciting! Meeting LW, JW and JP has been a huge highlight of the year and I think we all look forward to seeing each other on Wednesday nights. WiiNotFit is my other team and we have a great time on Sundays whether it's yelling at Frank or cheering everyone else on to victory!

Social Activities
These events brought so much laughter and great memories into my life this year:
N's Black & White Birthday
"Starfish" convo with N & Justin
Cheering on Team USA at Irina's
Halloween
Thanksgiving Potluck
Girls Night Out Holiday Party
New Year's
VD '09 Singles Night
Getting the Wii and playing Guitar Hero until 4am more than once
The SNL & Spring Games Party
Naomi's Bday
Concert Tour '09, especially the night of Santigold, one for the history books
VEGAS!!!!
Bowling at Val Lanes & Plaza Lanes
Ashley's wedding shenanigans
and so much more...

Overall I can't think of any place I'd rather be (and I'm sure my parents agree to this location as well). People can say what they want about DSM, but this city is what you make it and I think it's a pretty wonderful place, full of wonderful people.

No comments:

Post a Comment