Tuesday, June 16

OMG//LOL//ROFL//FML ... BARF!

I am disgusted by this article that I caught today:
LOL, Iowa Teen Is National Texting Champ

Really? This is what Iowa's youth is going to be known for? There seriously is a competition in which 14 & 15 year-olds are competing in texting to win $50,000, the oldest competitor was 22?! There are so many things wrong with this...

1. Why the hell are 14 year-olds
(a) having cell phones
(b) having text plans on these phones
(c) having text plans large enough to "prepare" them for a texting competition
Call me old fashioned but it will be a cold day in hell before my 14 year-old has their own cell phone with a text plan. I was 19 and in college before I got a cell and I was just fine. Yes, I get that technology is progressing and this is becoming a social norm but we have to draw a line, children don't need this stuff, they need to be reading, writing & creating NOT texting crap like 'OMG my BFF is a total BIA' to their friends.

2. $50,000 prize
Our economy is in turmoil and education gets 0 funding but LG can give out a $50,000 prize for this? Seriously LG, do something good with your "extra cash" and donate to charity or start a college fund or lower the prices of your stupid phones so when I lose mine I don't have to pay $200 for a new one.

3. Parents are seemingly ok with this
I am guessing this 15 year-old didn't pay her own way to New York, so that most likely means that her parents footed the bill on a chance for their daughter to win a texting contest. I mean do you think they made her prepare for this? My parents would have laughed in my face had I suggested they fly my off to New York for a competition like this. Shame on you parents, I bet you deck her out in Uggs and denim minis from Abercrombie too, gag.

4. The AP reports on this
Isn't there better news out there? Isn't there someone doing something good that deserves the press time more than this kid? Isn't anything more intelligent that this?

I really hope that by the time I am graced with children in my life that there will still be parents out there that are concerned with the development of their children in areas like arts and music, that parents will still push their children to ask questions, read books and play pretend. If not the movie Idiocracy will soon become a reality. Let's get it together people.

3 comments:

  1. I heard about this news story as I was getting ready this morning and thought the same things. It is absolutely ludicrous and, unfortunately, becoming the epitome of an ignorant America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think the younger generation has gotten away with way too much and are spoiled to the nth degree, I disagree with most of this post. Think about what our parents/grandparents think of us with cell phones, laptops, HDTVs, etc. ALL are unneccessary things, but as technology evolves so does society. I would argue each point, but don't want to make my comment longer than the original blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like you to post a response in your own blog, or better yet TEXT me the response you have in store.

    ReplyDelete